Monthly Archives: July 2013

What to Do in Accidents Involving Parked Cars

Likely that older drivers have at least once faced with accidents involving parked vehicles. If you hit a parked car it is definitely your fault. If you found your automobile damaged by another driver when you are back you would wish they left a note. Even though it is not your fault you would have to deal with the losses unless you can identify the responsible party.

About seventy percent of hit and run accidents happen in the car parks. Luckily most damages are only scratches or bumps. The most common one is the rear-view mirror damages. That is why many cars allow you to fold them with a click of a button. It is a good practice to fold them as drivers see the body of the automobile but fail to calculate the mirrors.

What to When Someone Hit Your Parked Auto?

You are in luck if the responsible party admits fault and happy to co-operate or pay for the damage privately. But this may not be the case and it may be hit and run. There is chance someone has seen the accident or it is caught in the camera. You should ask around if anyone has seen anything or it is possible to get a copy of the tape. If you can identify the make and model of the car as well as the plate number your insurer should be able to find the owner of the vehicle.

Normally Uninsured Driver Coverage would pay for such damages if you have it even though you may not be able to find any information about the vehicle caused the damage. The downside is that it will increase your car insurance rates for at least three years starting from the next renewal. That is why you may like to assess the damage first before calling the police and auto insurer.

Many people may want to get the repairs done and forget about it when the loss is not much. Consider how much your premium may go up and take into account that your rates will be affected for three years. If you have another accident in the meantime this could aggravate the costs. Generally you may want to pay for the damages when the loss is not going to be more than the likely premium increases. It is not fair that you have to pay for it but it may be smart under the circumstances.

When there is a serious damage you should call the police and let them prepare a report for your insurance company. Furthermore, they may have better luck with finding the culprit. They have larger powers when it comes to getting the copies of the camera recording and asking around for any evidence. A car that caused serious damage to yours will have damages as well for the policy to trace and track down.

What to Do If You Hit a Parked Automobile?

Remember how you would feel if someone did this to you and ran away. In worst case you can leave your number and ask the owner call you. You should take the details of the vehicle just in case someone else finds the note and try to take advantage of the situation.

Remember that authorities do not take kindly to drivers who hit and run. Someone might have seen you or it might have been recorded. To say the least it would be embarrassing to be identified as the hit and run driver.